This Teenager Made Her Own Hand Sanitizer and Donated All of the Money to Yemen
By Isabella Ullmann
For 15-year-old Julia D’Amato, the coronavirus pandemic was not an obstacle for her passion for social activism, but rather a unique opportunity to give back on a global scale. In early July, Julia launched Julia’s Cleanser’s, a homemade sanitizing business that sells eight unique sanitizing scents such as Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, and mint that kill bacteria and viruses. 100% of proceeds go to save the children’s Yemen branch, as Julia mentions on her site that it’s suffering the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
Julia decided to raise money specifically for Yemen given that “in order to save this country from extinction, 2 billion dollars must be raised,” according to her website. With a fundraising goal of $1,000 to donate to save the children branch this summer, she’s already surpassed it by 400 dollars by August 1st. She wrote, “Thank you so much. I did not expect nearly this much success for a local student-run initiative! I am so grateful.”
In addition to the sale of her homemade hand sanitizers, Julia is working to spread awareness surrounding the crisis in Yemen on her Instagram through interviews with Yeminies. She has interviewed Yeminies such as Aliya Nehmi who came to the US only two years ago and have first hand knowledge on the experience there. Julia tackles topics such as “Secret Yemen prisons,” access to food or clean water, and the health care http://healthsavy.com system.
Subscribing to Shine Global on YouTube is one of the easiest, most helpful ways to support us in our mission of making films about underserved youth and their families. Thank you so much for your support!
- Shine Global Partners With U.S. Congresswoman Veronica Escobar For Historic Immigration Reform Event In Washington, D.C.
- Shine Global Announces 2023 Children’s Resilience in Film Award Honorees
- Home Is Somewhere Else Wins Ariel Award for Best Animated Feature
- Nominees for 2023 Annual Children’s Resilience in Film Awards
- Meet Shine Global's Summer 2023 Interns: Piper Ackerman and Yuri Kim
- Heartland Film’s Indy Shorts Announces Winner of a Spotlight on Children’s Resilience with Shine Global