Top 5 Accomplishments in 2023
With the support of our donors, we had an incredibly impactful 2023 in which we harnessed the power of film to spark actions and change around the world.
Some of the highlights from 2023 include:
- Partnered with U.S. Congresswoman Veronica Escobar (TX-16) to host an event on Capitol Hill featuring our film Home Is Somewhere Else to bring together key figures from the world of politics and advocacy to discuss the pressing need for comprehensive immigration reform that prioritizes the wellbeing of children and families.
- Through Our Eyes: Homefront, our short documentary about the impact of military service on families, was celebrated as a finalist at the 2023 duPont Columbia Awards, which recognize outstanding public service audio and video reporting. The film illustrates the need for services for veterans’ children and families.
- From This Small Place premiered at festivals in October. This feature documentary follows a six-year-old boy named Hossain who is growing up in the world’s largest refugee camp in Bangladesh as the Rohingya refugee crisis becomes increasingly dangerous.
- Home Is Somewhere Else won an Ariel Award (the Mexican Oscar) for Best Animated Feature Film after it was held over for more than 12 weeks in Mexican cinemas with over 760 events in 47 cities. Through a series of screenings on both sides of the US/Mexico border, we are sharing the emotional complexities that immigrant children and their families experience in order for audiences to better understand and empathize with their struggles.
- The 2023 Children’s Resilience in Film Awards featured events in both NYC and LA that honored 6 filmmakers whose films celebrate the strength and power of children around the world – with the grand prize winner Name Me Lawand receiving a $15,000 cash prize – as well as celebrating individual honorees.
And there’s so much more to announce in 2024!
Shine Global is an award-winning non-profit media company with the mission to improve the lives of children by telling powerful stories that raise awareness, promote action, and inspire change. We produce inspiring films and compelling content about underserved children. Through tailored distribution and outreach, we connect with our audiences in communities, classrooms, museums, and on capitol hill as part of a powerful engagement campaign to encourage social change.